What is causing my knee pain?

I am 18 years old and have had severe pain in my left knee for over 5 years. I have had several x-rays done over that span of time as the pain got worse. However, my doctor keeps telling me there is nothing wrong.. "nothing wrong" should not feel like this. I have had to quite running cross country and basketball... for nothing. Any insight would be lovely as it prohibits me from even walking around during the day.
This is a great question. It is very important that if you feel you are not getting appropriate care by your current doctor, that you make an appointment with a different doctor for a second opinion. It is essential that you have a good relationship with your doctor and can feel comfortable talking to him or her. You didn't mention if your current doctor is a general doctor, such as a family medicine doctor or a pediatrician. If so, you may want to ask for a referral to an orthopedist, who specializes in bones and joints. Oftentimes pain in the knees is caused by a ligament or meniscus problem, which can not be seen on an x-ray, which is used mainly to look at the bones. So, if you haven't already had one, your new treating doctor may order an MRI for further evaluation of your knee pain. Once you have a correct diagnosis for what is causing your knee pain then your doctor will be able to prescribe therapy which usually includes ice, anti-inflammatories, a brace, and oftentimes a course of physical therapy, especially if the pain has been going on for so long. Again, it is very important for you to seek care as soon as possible.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons

• Dr. Keith Kurland
    Dr. Keith Kurland MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    10139 NW 31st Street
    Coral Springs, FL 33065
  • Dr. Joel B. Nilsson
    Dr. Joel B. Nilsson MD, FAAOS
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    21 Spurs Lane
    San Antonio, TX 78240
  • Dr. Matthew Enna
    Dr. Matthew Enna MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    9033 Wilshire Blvd
    Beverly Hills, CA 90211