Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I've been suffering from nasal congestion for 2 months now. What can be the problem?"

ZocdocAnswersI've been suffering from nasal congestion for 2 months now. What can be the problem?


My nose has been congested since July and ears clogged since August, I went to see an ENT in which I took an CT scan and blood work, the CT scan was normal and the blood work didn't show the etiology of my chronic Allergy. I never suffered from any type of Allergies until now. I was prescribed 3 different allergy meds. None of the meds cleared my nasal passage. I don't know what else to do. Why is it that my nose is so congested for a long period of time?


So sorry to hear about your symptoms. It sounds like you have been taking the right steps to find some sort of answer and solution to your problem, and I would urge you to continue working with your doctor to find the answer that you need. Ear nose and throat surgeons (AKA ENT AKA otolaryngology head and neck surgeons) are trained to identify and treat anatomical problems of the head and neck that may contribute to symptoms such as what you are describing. It is common practice to obtain a CT scan after treating sinus congestion, to demonstrate whether or not there is residual disease. In your case, it sounds as if the scan was normal, which can be frustrating as a patient. While this can be frustrating, the good news is that your problem may be able to be addressed without surgery based on that information. Your surgeon instead may recommend that you consider other causes of nasal congestion and facial pain, some of which include atypical migraines and other neurologic conditions. While some of the allergy medications have been ineffective, there may be other options that could help. Please speak with your surgeon and doctor about other possible options and your questions.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.