ZocdocAnswersDo I have appendicitis?

Question

Do I have appendicitis?

ive had pain in my right side for several months. i cant move when its really bad sometimes. lately ive had to vomit because of it what do you suggest?

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your pain. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis, a doctor would need to collect a complete medical history and perform a thorough physical exam. You may require additional testing, such as blood work or a CT scan. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care physician. After collecting this information, the doctor can make recommendations on the best way to move forward. Abdominal pain can be caused by many disorders. As you suggest, appendicitis, or severe inflammation and infection of the appendix, classically causes pain in the right lower quadrant of the abdomen. However, other disorders can also cause similar pain. You may be suffering from gallstones obstructing your bile duct, or choledocholithiasis, or an infection of your gallbladder called cholecystitis. Inflammatory bowel disease, such as Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, can cause severe abdominal pain. Irritable bowel syndrome can cause abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. Some disorders can cause obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract leading to similar symptoms. It is also important to rule out disorders such as diverticulitis. I strongly encourage you to see a primary care physician to discuss these possibilities.