ZocdocAnswersDo I need to be worried about bumps under the skin all over my face after laser genesis?

Question

Do I need to be worried about bumps under the skin all over my face after laser genesis?

It's four days after this procedure, and I just want to know if I need to be worried about an infection or if I'm just having a strong reaction to laser genesis? These bumps aren't red, seem to be getting smaller after they appear, but aren't going away.

Answer

Thanks for your question. Laser treatment therapies can be very effective at improving a number of cosmetic issues. As with any medical treatment, there are risks and benefits to the therapy, and it is important to have open communication with your doctor about any changes in your symptoms or any variations from the norm. While what you are describing is difficult to understand fully, it is important to point out that it could be something normal or it could be something that needs further treatment. In some situations, the trauma of the laser can pre-dispose people to having infections of the skin. These infections can come from either dormant viruses that are in the skin already, or from bacteria that are frequently found around the skin. If not treated appropriately, the long term consequence can be problematic. For that reason, it is important that you discuss your symptoms with the health care personnel that treated you. He or she may need to see you again to know what steps to take next, or may be able to ask the questions that are needed to help you be treated appropriately. Please speak with your doctor about your question.