ZocdocAnswersMy neck and throat hurt, do I need help?

Question

My neck and throat hurt, do I need help?

I had a football game on tuesday and my neck hurt after because i got hit when my head was down on the line, and my neck felt like it krinkled. Now today my wind pipe hurts too, when i chew, swallow, bite an apple, and when i touch it it feels tender kind of like its bruised. I dont have a concussion, i would know if i did as ive had one before

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you were hit in the neck during a football game and that now you have pain in your trachea, when you chew, and when you touch it. I can give you my thoughts and opinions about what might be going on and where to go from here. The first thing that I am going to do is recommend that you get evaluated by a physician, as neck and head injuries can be potentially serious. Your primary care physician is a good place to start. If you don't have one, then an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician would be a good alternative. What you don't want to miss is a cervical spine injury, and have permanent damage done. More than likely, you received some soft tissue trauma from the blow, and there is some residual bruising and inflammation that you are dealing with. If there is musculoskeletal pain with moving your head from left to right, then chances are there was some trauma to the sternocleidomastoid muscles (the main muscles in the front of your neck). If your jaw was hit, it could have caused some trauma to the temporalmandibular joints which would cause some pain with jaw movement. And trauma to the anterior neck can cause pain in the trachea, and the strap muscles. The straps are a set of muscles involved in elevating your larynx when swallowing, so swallowing is sore when these are traumatized. All of these muscle injuries typically resolve on their own without intervention, however there are some injuries (larynx, or spine for example) that can potentially be very dangerous, and that is why it is worth getting checked out by a physician. best of luck.