ZocdocAnswersWhy do I like the pain of mouth ulcers?

Question

Why do I like the pain of mouth ulcers?

I seem to love the pain of mouth ulcers. I like biting them and the pain. Why am I weird? Is there any explanation?

Answer

Thank you for your question. I believe speaking with your doctor would be helpful. Pain is a complex mechanism by which the human body is able to be warned of damage to the cells and different parts of itself. There are many different things that go into the interpretation of the pain that we are feeling, and these things will differ between any two people. The key is to make sure that your body is not being harmed, either by the ulcers themselves (and whatever they may be from) or from the constant trauma of biting something that is already traumatized. Just like the repeated trauma of tobacco exposure can lead to long term problems, so too can repeated trauma from other causes, even something as simple as repeated bite injuries. If you feel that your sores are not healing appropriately or if you do not know what the sores are from or if you have other injuries or symptoms, you should please speak with your doctor to make sure that you are getting the help that you need. There may be other reasons to explain what you are describing, and speaking with your doctor will help you to understand if more needs to be done. Please speak with your doctor.