ZocdocAnswersWhy do I feel sick when I brush my teeth?

Question

Why do I feel sick when I brush my teeth?

Everytime I go to brush my teeth as soon as I put the brush in my mouth I want to vomit so I have to push though brushing my teeth and toung. Some times I do actually get sick so I have to rebrush them. I even get really sick when I use mouth wash after. Why do you think that is??

Answer

Sorry to hear about your problem. Oral aversion is something that people can develop for a number of different reasons. It is not uncommon for many people to have an aversion to one thing or another, and you have unfortunately developed an aversion to brushing your teeth (and perhaps to other things like unto it, if you are also having problems with your mouth wash!). While the obvious explanation for why this is happening is not apparent, it is usually something that you should be able to work through. Your doctor may have some tips of things that you can do to help. Additionally, he or she may feel that it is a good idea to work with a speech and language pathologist, or someone who is trained to help those with swallowing disorders and other problems such as you describe. Some of these caregivers work with infants who are given tube feeds early in life and do not develop the immediate response to suckling and taking in food through the mouth that most infants learn. These infants can, at times, develop oral aversions as well. Speaking with your doctor is a good place to start, and your dentist can help, too. Again, please speak with your doctor.