ZocdocAnswersWhy have I had headaches for a month?

Question

Why have I had headaches for a month?

37 female had occasional migraines in past. Started with pain in sinus, no mucus no signs of infection, checked at clinic given avays nasal spray. headaches and fatigue set in, tried Tylenol, Advil no help. Go to ER after 5 days of severe headaches. no break in pain, CAT lumbar puncture blood work came back ok. IV with antinausea, antihistamine and torodol.I gave up on taking over the counter pain for it doesn't work. no break from it. Dr gave me 5 days of prednisone, almotriptan which I was told to stop taking if the second pill didn't work. then another 5 days of prednisone and carbmazapine for ten days. It has been a month of constant pressure headaches at times so bad I couldn't walk, sounds are louder and my spirits are low. I fatigue after simple task or small walks. I was told it was a nuerological virus,but they don't seem to know. the pain has spread and moves around my head, I have noticed my neck and back as of late are affected.I am now on butrans 5mcg, I still have pain

Answer

What an unfortunate situation! I hope that you feel better soon. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. Headaches can come from many different sources. Most people with headaches have a headache that stems from one of the common causes, including migraines, tension headaches, cluster headaches, and other common causes of headaches. Even with these most common headaches, it is not entirely clear what is causing them in most situations. When a headache doesn't fit into one of these usual categories, it can be more concerning to doctors because some of the other causes are more serious. Infections are among the more serious causes and can happen to younger people. One of the best ways to check for an infection is to do lumbar puncture, which it sounds like you had. It is important to note that this itself can sometimes cause pain and a headache. Other possible explanations include elevated pressure inside of the head, either from benign sources or from things such as headaches or even tumors. Imaging is one of the easier ways to get answers about some of those possible explanations. Speak with your doctor about which, if any, of the medications so far have helped. This will give more clues. Please speak with your doctor.