search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What can I do about discomfort in my back?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do about discomfort in my back?

Question

When it starts hurting my chest gets real tight and I feel like I can't breath then I get sick. It hurts to move. It hurts to stay still. I don't know what to do. Please help. It's hard to play with my daughter now.

Answer

This is a good question. It is very important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as possible to discuss your symptoms and have a full history and physical. Depending on what your doctor discovers during your visit, he or she may order imaging of your back, such as an x-ray. Back pain is very common and can impact almost everything that you do. There are many causes of back pain. One of the most common causes of back pain is a muscle strain (pulled muscle). This can happen if you picked something up wrong (such as your daughter) or if you slept in a weird position. This usually feels like a throbbing pain and sometimes you can actually feel the muscle go into a spasm. Another cause of back pain is a problem with your spine, such as a herniated disc. This can cause severe pain that sometimes radiates down one leg. Another cause of back pain is a urinary tract infection so take note if you have any bladder symptoms such as frequency or hesitation. Again, it is important to seek care as soon as possible to get a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances