ZocdocAnswersCan I gain weight back suddenly due to polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Question

Can I gain weight back suddenly due to polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Around 3 years ago I gained a lot of weight really fast (40kg's within approximately 7 months). At first I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and took the according medicines, later on insulin resistance and I took the according medicine as well. Afterwards I found out the reason most probably was polycystic ovarian syndrome . I managed to shed around 25kg's of that weight (BMI now = 21) and Im finally happy again, yet I am constantly living with a fear the weight might come back as fast as it did the first time. Is that possible? Is it possible the polycystic ovarian syndrome will suddenly get really bad again? Waiting for an answer asap, thanks.

Answer

First, I should say that it is wonderful that you lost all that weight. The fact that you lost all that weight is the reason why some of your symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome improved. Weight loss is one of the most challenging things that a patient can do especially those patients with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Yet those with this syndrome need to lose weight more than most others as this is one of the principal treatments of the condition. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The general answer to your question is yes, those with polycystic ovarian syndrome are more susceptible to weight gain and need to work harder to maintain a healthy weight. In addition, it is even more important that you maintain a healthy weight to prevent the insulin resistance and high blood pressure that comes along with the syndrome. To do this, you should work with your doctor to make sure that you have the proper diet and exercise program to maintain a healthy weight. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. If you were gaining weight, you might benefit from a referral to a nutritionist. In addition, you should discuss what you should do for an exercise program to maintain a healthy weight and improve your overall health.