My 3 year old is having difficulty pooping in the potty. Should I take him to a specialist and what kind?

My 3 year old is having difficulty pooping in the potty. When he is on the pot he poops maybe one or two little turds and then he will fart and it comes out like liquid. His pediatrician said he is just lazy but I am questioning if it is something more?....Please help
The pattern you are describing sounds like constipation, and I suggest discussing with a Gastrointestinal Pediatrician. Stool usually should come out well formed. Constipation can cause stool to not to move down the colon which can lead to some liquid stool, which you described. The more important question is the timing. Is this something that has been going on for months or is this a new? How often are this bowel movements? You can write down a list of the foods he has been eating and determine if he has enough fiber in his diet. Fiber usually helps stool absorb water which makes the stool softer. It also helps the stool move down the colon easier. Fiber rich foods are usually vegetables and vegetables. You should also note the color of his stool. Is it red, black, maroon colored? Write this information down and make an appointment with a Gastrointestinal Pediatrician who can help help you and your son find a solution to his problem. Constipation is common condition; however, there are many causes for constipation and it should be investigated, especially in children. If there is any abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, red/black/maroon stool, or fevers, you should bring your son to the emergency room as soon as possible.

Other Gastroenterologists