ZocdocAnswersWhat should i do for horrible nerve pain from the back of my neck to my fingers?

Question

What should i do for horrible nerve pain from the back of my neck to my fingers?

My emg test showed irritation but my mri was clear.My doctor does not seem to care but I cant work because the pain is so bad and havent been prescribed anything to help

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or medical spine specialist. Although your EMG shows some irritation, the fact that your MRI does not show any pathology suggests that the case might be due to something else other than your cervical spine. Because there is only limited information available here, it is best that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor who will be able to look at your medical history and perform a physical examination and then decide whether further testing is appropriate. The good news is that if your MRI looks normal, then there is no need to have spine surgery done, and you should be very wary of a surgeon that offers surgery to you if there is nothing on the MRI that is concerning and they cannot explain to you what specifically the area is that is causing you to have these symptoms. Other areas that can cause you to have pain in the fingers include injuries of the brachial plexus, nerve entrapments that can occur anywhere along the course of the nerve into the hand as well as other causes outside the scope of this discussion.