ZocdocAnswersIs it safe to take Methotrexate during pregnancy?

Question

Is it safe to take Methotrexate during pregnancy?

I'm 42, I've had SLE lupus for 6 years and just found out I am pregnant. I take prednisone, plaquanil and methotrexate. I've taken rituan in the last year also. I'm concerned about birth defects and considering termination if possible

Answer

So sorry to hear about your problem of both having a pregnancy and also a chronic medical condition. This is one of those very challenging situations that many patients are forced to deal with, and it is always best to have a close working relationship with your doctor, especially for times like this. You see, there is no perfect answer about what to do and how to manage your symptoms while pregnant. Methotrexate is a drug that can decrease the amount of steroids that are needed for some patients by helping to control the symptoms of some autoimmune disorders such as lupus. Most doctors would generally prefer to decrease the amount of most medications that pregnant patients take in most situations, because there is always the concern that any medication can have unwanted side effects. With regards to any specific side effects that may occur during pregnancy, it is always best to check with the manufacturer of a medication as well as with the prescribing doctor. He or she will be able to discuss all of the potential complications, and further discuss the risk, benefits and alternatives of any future course of action. Please speak with your prescribing doctor.