ZocdocAnswersNumb sensation on right lower back, should I be concerned?

Question

Numb sensation on right lower back, should I be concerned?

I go on vacation in 2 days & of course this had to flare up now. I have a strange numb sensation on the lower bottom right side of my back. I feel it most when I bend over or sit indian style. There's no pain just numbness. I go to Florida in 2 days. I'm a hypochondriac as it is so I'm just hoping I'll be ok on vacation! Any idea what this is? Should I be really concerned?!?

Answer

Thanks for your question. Numbness in a small area of your back can be quite common for a number of people, but is something that should be addressed with your doctor. He or she will be able to help determine if it is something that requires more urgent treatment or can wait until you return from your vacation. Many times, people will develop a pinched or otherwise affected nerve in their lower back and leg that can result in numbness or shooting pain. Some of these symptoms can be related to a condition commonly known as sciatica, which is most classically associated with a shooting pain down the leg. Things to look out for and require immediate medical attention include loss of bowel or bladder function, or a spreading of the numbness to involve other areas. Please speak with your doctor about your concern soon, to get the help you need and to feel better. Good luck!