Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What should I do about pulsing in ear?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do about pulsing in ear?


for the past two weeks i keep having an onset of hearing and feeling my heartbeat or pulse in my left ear. Also, tonight i noticed feeling a sharp pain in the left side of my neck on and off. Whats wrong with me and what should i do?


I am sorry to hear that you have been dealing with pulsatile tinnitus (hearing your heartbeat in your ear) for two weeks, have a pain in your neck, and are worried about what might be going on. I am happy to give you some information about pulsatile tinnitus, and my thoughts as to what might be going on, but ultimately you are going to be best served by making an appointment to be seen by an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician. One of the first thing that an ENT is going to want to do is use an otoscope, or a microscope, to examine your ear drum and middle ear very well. One thing that needs to be ruled out is a glomus tumor. Glomus tumors are vascular tumors that can grow on your ear drum, or within the jugular bulb (both of which can cause pulsatile tinnitus). These tumors can typically be seen on, or through the ear drum when examined. The ENT may also want to order an audiogram, which is a hearing test. This can give them some more information about the tinnitus. Lastly, they may choose to perform some scans (such as a CT scan or an MRI) to rule out any other tumors that can cause unilateral hearing loss, or tinnitus. I hope this helps and I wish you all the best.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.