ZocdocAnswersWhy do I bleed during and after sex when I'm not on my period?

Question

Why do I bleed during and after sex when I'm not on my period?

I'm 20yrs old with one child who is one.

Answer

Bleeding during or after sex is common for many women between ages of 20 and 40 to experience now and then. However, it is important to be evaluated by a doctor, especially if it is persistent or a frequently recurrent issue. It may indicate a medical problem, but in most cases, if promptly diagnosed it is treatable cervical changes. The source of bleeding commonly brought on by sexual intercourse is most likely the cervix, which is rich in blood vessels. It is normal to bleed when there is too much friction and not enough lubricant to reduce the friction. This is especially true when the intercourse is painful. Bleeding can also occur if the cells of your cervix are inflamed or contain a lesion such as abnormal cells that any injury to it could cause bleeding much more easily. Do you have other symptoms? Two common sexually transmitted disease that can cause vaginal bleeding after intercourse are chlamydia or gonorrhea if you also experience other symptoms such as vaginal discharge, irritation or a burning sensation when urinating. Vaginitis is the inflammation of the vagina that may also cause bleeding after intercourse. Pelvic inflammatory disease and endometriosis may lead to vaginal bleeding during or after intercourse as well. There are a number of other possible causes, but it is difficult to speculate with limited information. Please visit an OB-GYN for a thorough evaluation and a cause determined. During the visits, your doctor can give your a pelvic exam and look closely at your cervix for any anatomical lesions, such as tumors or polyps on the cervix or vaginal wall. He or she may also order a PAP smear for you to check for cervical cancer if you've not had one done recently. Once those serious conditions are ruled out and the cause is determined, you can discuss with your doctor about treatment options to reduce this bleeding. Good luck.