ZocdocAnswersCan hair get thinner as we age?

Question

Can hair get thinner as we age?

I am going on 18 years old and I'm concerned about my hair. When I was a kid I had naturally straight and thin hair. As I hit puberty one day I woke up and I literally had thick curly hair. My mother has naturally straight and thin hair and my father has naturally thick curly hair. However as I am approaching my adult years I've noticed my hair is naturally almost straight and it's thinned out quite a bit. I shrugged it off because I thought my hair was making another drastic change again but now I'm worried. I read some where about how it could affect my fertility later in life. Side notes: I do color my hair about every couple if months and I can't help but brush it after I shower because it's tangly. I wash my hair about every other day and I generally take good care of it. I'm just concerned!! My hair never has grown past my boob since I have been about 12 or so. I have tried some basic tips to get it to grow but nothing works for me.

Answer

Thanks for your question, and I recommend discussing it with your doctor. First, yes you are right that your hair can change quite a bit with time and different things that happen over time, such as hormonal changes. Other common times for hair to change are following pregnancy, with age, and at other times of change overall. One very common example, or at least a well known example, of this is the change that can come when a person has chemotherapy. For these reasons and others, it is important to make sure and work with your doctor if you have unexplained changes in any of your overall health. Now, once you have made sure that all of your overall health is well, then there are some things that can be done to help with the thinning of your hair. Yes, it is common for most people to have thinning of their hair as they age (but usually not at 18!). There are things that can be done to help to strengthen your hair, and a qualified person who works with hair may be able to help as much as your doctor--at least after you are sure that there is no medical explanation for your thinning hair. Please speak with your doctor.