What causes chest pain and wheezing after exercise?

I have been running for years on and off. Never regularly, however I used to be on the track and cross country team when younger. I am in reasonable shape, and weigh 130 lbs. For the past half year or so, every time I run and really exhert myself, I wheeze for a long time after. Sometimes cough. There was a bit of chest pain while running, but it wasn't anything notable. Today however, towards the end of my run my chest was starting to hurt a bit. After I stopped, the chest pain quickly became almost unbearable, I had to sit in fetal position and hope it would go away until it started to subside. It's faded now, but the wheeze is still persisting. Help?
Please discuss this with your doctor. Without knowing more about your health history, I am unable to fully assess your situation, and must advise that you seek the help of your physician to make sure that this is not something more serious. Please speak with your doctor or go to an emergency room. While all of us tend to feel immune to certain conditions, it is well known that even relatively healthy people can have serious events and health problems. The symptoms that you describe could have many different causes, but some of the potential causes include such serious events as a heart attack. Chest pain can be a sign that your body is unable to have enough oxygen, which can be serious when it affects your heart. Other common causes of the symptoms that you are describing include exercise induced asthma, allergies, and even just being out of shape. Without more information, it is impossible to say which you are suffering from. In general, most doctors advise speaking with your doctor before beginning a new exercise program, which is generally recommended to uncover potentially serious problems in a safe environment. Please speak with your doctor.