ZocdocAnswersWhat could be wrong with my ear?

Question

What could be wrong with my ear?

My ear has been hurting on and off for 4 weeks but now it hurts all the time but hurts more when i am out side for more then 10 mins when i shower and now cleaned my ear and there was blood what cpuld be wrong

Answer

I am sorry to hear that your ear has been bothering you for 4 weeks and that recently you cleaned it and found blood. It will be difficult to tell you for certain exactly what is going on without being able to take your medical history and examine you, however I am happy to give you some of my initial thoughts as to what might be going on. Nonetheless because I can't examine you, I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician. they will be able to examine you and give you a more accurate opinion about what is actually going on. It is possible that you have a cerumen impaction (ear wax that is obstructing your outer ear canal) that is causing pain and inflammation in your ear canal. There are many different nerves providing sensation to the outer ear canal which would explain why it is more sensitive when going outside. The reason I think this is that you mention that when you were cleaning your ears you found blood. I am jumping to conclusions, but I am assuming that you were using Q-tips to clean your ears. This could have either caused trauma to the ear canal, or pushed the ear wax further into the canal (which is why most ENT's recommend against using Q-tips). An ENT will be able to look in your ears and determine where the blood is coming from, and will be able to tell you what to do about it. I wish you all the best.