I had my ears pierced and let it close up and now there's a hard lump in my earlobe. What to do?

Well I actually only had my left ear pierced and it closed up after 2 years of car. Now it is a hard lump inside my earlobe. That feels smalls on somedays and feel larger some. I don't know what to do.
I am sorry to hear that you had your ear pierced for some time, and that two years after the piercing, the hole as closed up and now there's a lump in your ear. I am happy to give you some information, and my initial thoughts about what might be going on, but ultimately to get an accurate answer I would recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician, aka otolaryngologist. They will be able to take more of a history, and examine you and give you proper advice about what to do. It is not uncommon for ear piercings to close if the piercing is taken out. Especially if the ear was pierced in the helix (the upper part of the ear with cartilage). when it closes, it does so with scar tissue, which could be the lump that you feel. However, scar tissue does not fluctuate in size from day to day, which is all the more reason to get it checked out by a physician. Some people heal with hypertrophic scars, which means that the scar is larger than normal, but still within the confines of the wound. This is different than a keloid which is a hyperactive scar that extends beyond the limits of the initial wound. Some hyperactive scars will respond to steroid injections, and the ENT should be able to tell you if this is in fact what is going on, and will be able to administer the steroids if needed.

• Dr. Robert Lebovics
    Dr. Robert Lebovics MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    425 West 59th Street
    New York, NY 10019
  • Dr. Steven Miller
    Dr. Steven Miller MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    22 S 900 E
    Salt Lake City, UT 84102
  • Dr. Matthew Jepsen
    Dr. Matthew Jepsen MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    22 S 900 E
    Salt Lake City, UT 84102