ZocdocAnswersAm I still covered or do I need extra protection?

Question

Am I still covered or do I need extra protection?

I am on rigevidon birthing control pill and have been since May, just over 6 months. I've so far never missed a pill or a period. However this time after take the 21 tablets over 3 weeks and then the week break I then was late in starting the new packet. I was due to start them yesterday and so took the first one today as soon as I realised, and will take another later for today at my usual time of doing so. Thanks

Answer

Thank you for your question. The best thing to do is to discuss this with your prescribing caregiver. Birth control of most sorts is prone to intermittent lapses. Each kind is unique in how much of a risk of pregnancy a person has during and around the time of the missed coverage. In these situations, because they are so common, it is often helpful to read the package instructions. Most often these will provide some information about what to do if you miss a pill, and what steps should be taken. While it may seem that a short amount of time does not make much of a difference and should be fine, there are cases and some situations in which that is not the case. This will also obviously depend to some degree on the level of your sexual activity. The best thing is that you do have someone who prescribed the medication for you who is available to answer these sorts of questions, and can do so readily with a phone call in most cases, and may be able to relay an answer through his or her secretary. Please speak with your prescribing caregiver to determine what steps you need to take next and if you are appropriately protected. Thank you.