Why do I have a sharp pain in the back of my neck

I have been working out more recently since july and a few days ago before my birthday I started to feel a sharp pain in my back everytime I get up I can feel a very sharp pain in the back of my neck and I have recently felt it go down my spine sometimes. Please help me I'm scared this could be a serious injury!
I am sorry to hear that you have been dealing with sharp pains in the back of your neck, and that you are worried that something bad might be going on. I am happy to give you some thoughts about what might be going on, and where I think you should go to get evaluated, and I hope that in the end it helps to answer your question completely. First off, I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT, or a neurospine surgeon to get evaluated. That is because either of them will be able to examine you and take more of a medical history, which is ultimately what you will need to get an accurate diagnosis. It sounds to me like you may be dealing with a pinched nerve in your neck. The reason I think this is that you mention a 'sharp' pain that goes down your spine, which is a similar feeling that you get when there is a pinched nerve with nerve pain shooting down your neck. If you developed a muscle strain, it would have caused swelling and increased pressure on one of the cervical nerve roots in your neck. This could very well be due to the fact that you are working out, and may have developed a muscle strain while working out. It is also possible that there may be something else altogether going on, which is why it is worth getting checked out by a physician. I wish you all the best and hope that you get the answers you are looking for when you see an ENT.

• Dr. John Gilmore
    Dr. John Gilmore MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    10740 N. Central Expressway
    Dallas, TX 75231
  • Dr. Anand Devaiah
    Dr. Anand Devaiah MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    830 Harrison Ave
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. David Walden
    Dr. David Walden MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    320 Superior Ave
    Newport Beach, CA 92663