ZocdocAnswersWhy have I been bleeding on and off for a little over a month?

Question

Why have I been bleeding on and off for a little over a month?

I have been bleeding off and for a little over a month. It was consistent for 3 weeks, combination of light to very heavy. Went away for a week and now it's back again. I have a doc appointment next week, but I'm wondering if this is ER worthy at this point. I had no pain until yesterday when I had some cramping.

Answer

I'm sorry to hear that you've been dealing with this problem now for such a long period of time. There are many different causes of irregular vaginal bleeding, and most of them are not immediate emergencies. They include things like breakthrough bleeding from using contraceptive medications, alterations in the thyroid gland function, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and polycystic ovarian syndrome. The important thing is that you speak with your regular doctor to be evaluated. However, there are a couple of causes that require more emergent evaluation. One of these is ectopic pregnancy. This is a condition in which an individual becomes pregnant, but the pregnancy is located outside of the uterus. This can cause an combination of abdominal pain and irregular bleeding, and would be the first thing I would want to rule out. A second is pelvic inflammatory disease, which is a infection of the uterus and cervix, often caused by a sexually transmitted infection. If you have worsening abdominal pain or fever, in addition to the bleeding, then I think it would be reasonable to seek evaluation in an emergency room to rule out these conditions. If the pain is subsiding and the bleeding is minimal, then it might be reasonable to just see your regular doctor.