ZocdocAnswersIs my shoulder dislocated?

Question

Is my shoulder dislocated?

I met a bike accident. One of the doctor says there is no dislocation while other says there is one percent dislocation of right shoulder.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your shoulder issues. It is not possible to accurately diagnose your injury without performing a thorough medical history and physical exam as well as reviewing your imaging. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. After evaluating you, the surgeon can make recommendations on the next best steps. With any sort of shoulder injury, multiple different structures can be damaged. You can suffer damage to the cartilage lining the shoulder joint or the cartilage covering the end of your arm bone. An injury can occur to the rotator cuff, which consists of four muscles: supraspinatus, infraspinatus, subscapularis, and deltoid. There is also a bundle of cartilage connecting your clavicle, or collarbone, to the shoulder. This is termed the acromioclavicular joint and can lead to shoulder pain. With any of these injuries, you can also suffer a dislocation, which occurs when the arm bone slides out of the shoulder joint. This can cause stretching of the muscles and tendons holding the arm in place, and you may require physical therapy to help strengthen the joint and prevent this from happening again. It is not possible to know if this has occurred without examining you and reviewing your imaging, which is why I recommend you see an orthopedic surgeon.