Does my daughter have chickenpox?

My daughter had a relatively high temperature, sore throat, runny nose, etc. About a week later two spots/sores appeared which scabbed over. She now has the cold symptoms again but without the temperature. I got a call from the kindergarten while she was home sick that there was a chickenpox outbreak. Could she have had a milder chickenpox with only two? Also, is it possible for the spots to appear a week after she had the temperature? She is 3 and 3 months old thanks!
Thanks for the question, and sorry to hear about the sick child. I recommend that you speak with your daughter's pediatrician. The chickenpox is spread by a virus that results in the common symptoms that we all know: the spots and blisters that raise up on the skin and last for a few days and then ultimately scab over. All of the other symptoms that you describe may or may not be related to the chickenpox, but certainly could be. They are also symptoms of almost any viral illness or upper respiratory tract infection, however, and so it is difficult to definitively say whether or not they are related. In the setting of having been exposed to other children who have had the virus, there is an increased risk of her having contracted the disease, although this risk would be less if she had also had the vaccine against the chickenpox. Speaking with her pediatrician will be an important next step, as it will be good to know whether or not he or she believes your child has contracted the virus, as this will likely provide some immunity for the foreseeable future. Please speak with her pediatrician to make sure she has recovered fully and address your questions.

Nearby Pediatricians

Other Pediatricians