Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I cut my foot, should I see my doctor?"

ZocdocAnswersI cut my foot, should I see my doctor?


I stepped on the prongs of a plug on my hair dryer. It cut my foot a bit, pulled up the skin and folded it over. It is not deep enough for stitches, but i'm a bit worried. Should I see my doctor?


I recommend that you go to your primary care doctor to have your wound evaluated. It doesn't sound like a superficial wound from your description. Wounds are also concerning because if they are not properly cared for, it can lead to infection. Infections can spread deeper into the foot and surrounding tissues. Moreover, you may need a tetanus shot or tetanus booster shot if the wound is deep enough. The reason for the tetanus shot is to prevent the tetanus spores, if present on the prongs, to spread throughout your body. If there is surrounding redness at the wound site, it may be infected. You can use a pen to circle the red regions. If the areas are spreading, it could mean that you have cellulitis which is a superficial infection. If it is not treated, it can lead to necrotizing fasciitis, which is infection of the deeper tissues and may need surgical interventions. To be safe, I think you should go to your primary care doctor to have your wound evaluated. It can ease your worry. Your doctor can take a look at it to determine if you need any antibiotics or tetanus shots. In the meantime, you should deep the wound dry and clean. You can put a dry bandage over it.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.