Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What can I do for fungal infection? "

ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do for fungal infection?


Has it since February on my right hand i won't going aways? It's itching like crazy


If you have been suffering from an itchy rash for several months you should consult your primary care physician for further evaluation. Some fungal rashes are very classic in appearance but some are harder to differentiate from other rashes caused by different non-fungal organisms or other systemic processes. Your doctor may be able to give you a definitive diagnosis by examining the hand, or if the diagnosis is in doubt, a scraping of the rash can be examined under a microscope to confirm the presence of fungus. Ringworm, a classic rash caused by superficial fungal infection, appears as a scaly raised red circular rash with a central clearing. This common infection can be passed from person to person and also through contact with warm, moist areas such as locker rooms and swimming pools. The fungal infection may be more likely to occur in moist areas of the body such as between the toes (athlete's foot) or in the groin (jock itch) but can occur anywhere on the body, including the hand. Fortunately, most cases of superficial fungal infection respond very well to treatment with topical anti-fungal creams, such as Clotrimazole, Ketoconazole or Terbinafine. Again, please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.