ZocdocAnswersWhat could be the cause of intense pain inside my nose on left side of septum?

Question

What could be the cause of intense pain inside my nose on left side of septum?

Already took an ibuprofen 600 for a tooth infection but it didn't take nose pain away. It's been two hours. No redness or pimple

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have an intense pain in the left side of your nose, and that you are worried about what might be going on. There are a number of different possibilities as far as what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician to get evaluated. They will be able to do things that I am not able to, like take a thorough history and examine you, which should give them a better idea (then my speculations) as to what is going on. I am not sure if you have symptoms of a sinus infection, but it is possible that you could have an infectious process going on that is causing irritation of the mucosa (and nerve endings) in your nose. This would typically be associated with discharge and is usually bilateral (both sides) and not on just one side. Sometimes with dryness in the nose, there can be crusting on the septum which can give a lot of pain. This can also be associated with bleeding. Of course there are nasal tumors/masses that can also cause pain (although much less common), which is all the more reason to get checked out by an ENT. I wish you all the best and hope that your symptoms resolve soon.