ZocdocAnswersAm I bipolar?

Question

Am I bipolar?

Last night I had a manic episode. first one since January. I was euphoric, had high mood, lots of energy, racing thoughts, didn't need to sleep. But I was tired today and took a 2 hour nap. Before I had the manic episode, i was crying, suicidal, felt like no one would care if i died,

Answer

Thank you for your question regarding your mood symptoms. What you have described is extremely concerning. I would encourage you to visit a psychiatrist right away who can provide the appropriate care immediately, especially in light of the fact that this does not seem to be the first time you have experienced these symptoms. Bipolar disorder certainly has many of the features you described. Bipolar disorder alternates between two states, depression and mania (or hypomania). During depressive episodes, you feel sad, low energy, feelings of guilt or worthlessness, lack of appetite, and even suicidal thoughts. These episodes alternate with episodes of mania. During manic episodes, you may feel high energy, racing thoughts, hypersexual, spend money recklessly, extremely talkative, or have a decreased need for sleep. Hypomania is a less severe form of these traits, and you may still be able to function at work or school. Bipolar disorder needs to be treated right away. There are several medications which are typically used, which include mood stabilizers, anticonvulsants, and antipsychotics. However, it is important that you seek the appropriate professional help before self-diagnosing. If you are feeling suicidal, you may require hospitalization to protect yourself from harm. Please seek medical attention immediately.