I am 40 trying to get pregnant, what's wrong?

havent been able to since my 2nd daughter was born. I have never really used conterception and my periods have always been regular.
It is important that you discuss your concern with your OB/GYN. Pregnancy with increasing maternal age can be more challenging than pregnancy during more fertile periods of a woman's reproductive life. Although it is certainly possible for women in their 40's to become pregnant and carry a child to term successfully, the pregnancy rate does drop with age as it is typically more difficult for a woman to conceive after age 35 or so. Pregnancy in a woman after this point is typically referred to as "advanced maternal age," even though age 35 is certainly not old by any other metric! The best estimate for success for an older mother is whether or not she has been pregnant before. If you have already had two children, then you know that your body is capable of pregnancy. However, in order to maximize your chances of a successful, healthy pregnancy, it is best to visit your OB/GYN to discuss your difficulty conceiving. He or she can go over your prior health history, particularly your prior pregnancies, and consider whether any laboratory or imaging testing is necessary to make sure that there is nothing in the way of a successful pregnancy at this point. Depending upon the results of this discussion/evaluation, your doctor may want to discuss assisted reproduction options with you. Hopefully this visit can help answer your questions and reassure you about your future when it comes to additional children.