ZocdocAnswersI am having a hernia repair and was wondering if they could do a tubal reversal at the same time as its in the same areal?

Question

I am having a hernia repair and was wondering if they could do a tubal reversal at the same time as its in the same areal?

Hiya I am having a hernia repair and was wondering if they could do a tubal reversal at the same time as its in the same area, my tubes are clipped, if have to pay for the reversal how much and could i pay instalments?? Thku :)

Answer

It is certainly reasonable to wonder whether you could undergo both procedures at the same time! The best thing to do is to ask your doctors and surgeons. Generally speaking, it may not work for you to have both surgeries during one time in the OR because of the differences in the procedures themselves and the surgeons who perform them. A hernia repair is typically done by a general surgeon, while a tubal ligation or reversal of tubal ligation is done by a gynecologist. Although some surgical procedures are done in tandem, this is more typically done when both procedures are related (for example a mastectomy for breast cancer, followed by reconstruction with a plastic surgeon). In order for you to have two different types of surgery done during the same hospital visit, the surgeons performing each procedure would have to communicate and decide whether the type of OR support, anesthesia, and surgical time in the hospital at which you are having the hernia repair are conducive for this kind of "double" procedure. It is certainly worth asking, but both of your surgeons and the hospital and anesthesia staff will have to be able to accommodate this request. The gynecologist (or his/her business manager) would be the surgeon with whom to discuss the fees for the tubal ligation reversal. Good luck!