ZocdocAnswersWhat can cause fluctuation blood pressure, constant headache and fatigue?

Question

What can cause fluctuation blood pressure, constant headache and fatigue?

I was diagnosed with POTS in 2010. I was not put on any meds. I also get migraines. For the last month I have had a constant headache unless I am laying down. My bp pressure keeps fluctuating (one the same day it went from 90/70 to 138/96 in a hour) and I am always tired.

Answer

It sounds like you have a lot going on and I recommend that you be evaluated by a neurologist. While I certainly cannot tell exactly why you are experiencing all of these symptoms, I think I can help you get pointed in the right direction. Both of the blood pressure measurements that you quoted here are fairly normal (the one is a little high) and thus don't really point to any one condition. I will say that the most likely possibility is that the higher blood pressure was taken when you are having pain during one of your headaches. The lower blood pressure might of been taken during a time that you are having less headaches. Blood pressure can be very responsive to pain. If you are having constant headaches every day, then you might need a preventative medication for your migraines, examples of medications that we prescribed for daily use to prevent migraines include topiramate and amitriptyline. What I would suggest is that you work on getting your migraines under control first. If this is the case, then your blood pressure and your fatigue might actually improve. For starters, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a neurologist so that you can have an evaluation of your headaches and replace a preventative medication if it is indicated. Good luck.