ZocdocAnswersWhat is this tingling (not burning) in my penis?

Question

What is this tingling (not burning) in my penis?

What is this tingling (not burning) in my penis and testes after unprotected sex a week ago. It doesn't hurt when I pee, no discharge , comes and goes, doesn't hurt just tingles

Answer

Dysuria is term that refers to any discomfort when urinating. You describe a tingling sensation after having unprotected sex a week ago. Though you may not experience pain, tingling is not a normal sensation in your penis. Since you had unprotected sex, there is always a concern for a sexually transmitted disease (STD). People may experience STD's in different ways. In fact, some people do not even have any symptoms of STD's. You have a tingling sensation which is enough to suggest that something is not normal. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to be examined. You can ask to be checked for STD's. You should inform your doctor about unprotected sex and all the details that you think are necessary. Don't be shy because your doctor has probably heard of and seen most embarrassing things. Most STD's are bacterial or viral. Bacterial STD's can be detected in a urine sample and can be treated with antibiotics. Viral STD's are the ones that are troublesome because there aren't any "cures" for them, but there are treatments that can be used to control them. Remember to use a condom when you have sex. It is the only method of preventing the transmission of STD's. Again, please speak with your doctor.