Why am I coughing up blood?

Hi, I've had a history of nasal drip and today i coughed up 2 wads a little smaller than an index finger. Ever since i've been coughing up a little blood along with mucus. This happens sometimes when i have a bloody nose but i haven't had one all day. I'm sure it's nothing serious but its always good to make sure.
Bloody noses are quite common, but may require treatment or at least a visit to the doctor to make sure that there is nothing more serious that is causing the nosebleeds. This is especially true if they are becoming more frequent, are severe, or are associated with other symptoms. With regards to the coughing up blood (known as hemoptysis to doctors), it is quite possible that this is some of the blood that has been coming from your nose. In addition to going out the front of your nose, it can go down the back. Eventually, your upper airway will help you to either cough it out or swallow the blood. This is a quite common scenario, and will be experienced by many people. Another possibility is that the blood is coming from somewhere else in your airway. There are many different causes for bleeding in the airway or upper aerodigestive tract, and some of these are quite serious. It is important for you to both control the nose bleeds and also to find out if there is another cause of bleeding. Please speak with your doctor about your question, and consider a referral to a specialist as needed.

• Dr. Daniel Leeman
    Dr. Daniel Leeman MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3607 Manor Road
    Austin, TX 78723
  • Dr. Adrian Varela
    Dr. Adrian Varela MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    10330 SE 32nd Ave
    Milwaukie, OR 97222
  • Dr. Howard Baim
    Dr. Howard Baim MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    2532 N. Lincoln Ave
    Chicago, IL 60614