ZocdocAnswersI'm bleeding from my vagina and I don't think it's my period, what could it be?

Question

I'm bleeding from my vagina and I don't think it's my period, what could it be?

I'm bleeding from my vagina and I don't think it's my period. Blood flows like water and is much darker.

Answer

If you are having new bleeding from the vagina, then it is best to seek attention from your doctor. It does sound like there are some characteristics of the bleeding that make it different from your regular periods, and there are several different conditions that could cause vaginal bleeding apart from regular menstruation. The most important question to answer right now is how serious the bleeding is. The phrase in your question "blood is flowing like water" makes me worried, because that sounds like you are bleeding quite a bit. If this is the case, then I would recommend seeking emergency medical attention, say from the closest emergency room. I say this because vaginal bleeding can sometimes be severe enough to cause significant blood loss. Other signs of significant blood loss might include shortness of breath, dizziness, or a sensation that your heart is racing. On the other hand, if the bleeding is small in quantity, then there is no need to seek emergency medical attention, and you can call your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor to set up a visit to discuss the issue. They will be able to perform an exam and help you determine the cause of the bleeding.