ZocdocAnswersI see black dots, I have blurry vision, I can't swallow and a I have headache, what could it be?

Question

I see black dots, I have blurry vision, I can't swallow and a I have headache, what could it be?

A couple days ago my eyes were hurting,then my eyes were blood red.now black dots and its hard to see

Answer

You need to see a doctor, and soon! While it is not immediately clear what is causing these symptoms, I am quite concerned that this is something very serious. You should not have progressive vision loss in the setting of eye pain and the other symptoms that you describe. Please speak with a doctor immediately. Sometimes, infections can present with serious and destructive changes such as what you are describing. In some cases, the only way to treat such serious infections is with IV antibiotics and even surgery if needed. In other cases, things such as tumors that are putting pressure on the nerves that help with vision can cause some of the changes that you are describing. Whether or tumors are benign or malignant, any tumor causing these symptoms is something that should be treated immediately to have the best chance at a good outcome. In this situation, a good outcome could be anything that saves your vision, as progressive vision loss is a very concerning symptom. There can be other explanations for this symptom complex as well, including auto immune conditions and other systemic illnesses. Any of these likely need urgent medical evaluation and treatment. Again, please speak with your doctor.