ZocdocAnswersI am a 17 years old boy ..my ESR is 28 after my blood test. Is this normal?

Question

I am a 17 years old boy ..my ESR is 28 after my blood test. Is this normal?

Please tell me if my ESR (28) is dangerous for me or not?

Answer

I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or whoever ordered this test. My first question for you would be why you had an ESR checked. Doctors typically order an ESR when the are worried about a significant infection or a inflammatory disease. An ESR is a very generic marker of inflammation in the body. It does not point to any one particular disease, one particular infection, or one particular type of inflammatory condition. An ESR of 28 is high suggesting that there might be some sort of inflammatory process possibly going on in your body. However, it is not so high that a doctor can absolutely be sure that something is going on. It is the kind of test that when negative or normal it is very helpful because it can tell you doctor that nothing inflammatory is going on, but when positive can sometimes be unhelpful as a positive test can sometimes mean nothing. The real question, is what follow-up test your doctors are planning. If they're worried about an inflammatory disorder, then there is a series of inflammatory testing and rheumatological testing that should be done. If they are worried about infection, then perhaps you had a culture done. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or whoever wanted this test to discuss why it was done. This is the bigger question than what it means at this point.