ZocdocAnswersWhy is my right ankle always slightly swollen but does not hurt?

Question

Why is my right ankle always slightly swollen but does not hurt?

The outside of my right ankle, about 2-3 inches above my ankle bone, is always slightly swollen but there is no pain. I noticed it about 6 months ago and nothing has changed. While my left ankle and above is straight and smooth my right one is curved outward like it's slightly swollen. Not sure what to make of this, any thoughts?

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis, a physician would need to review the full details of your medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care physician. After collecting this information, the doctor will be able to make recommendations regarding possible causes and treatment options. Physical trauma to this area of your leg can lead to blood vessel dilation, increased blood flow to the area, and reduced lymphatic drainage, all causing swelling. It is possible your suffered an injury that ultimately disrupted the normal drainage process, leading to chronic swelling. A deep bruise to the bone can cause bleeding in one of the bone layers or within the fibrous layers of the lower leg, and this can take quite some time to resolve. Disruption of the lymphatic system, such as occurs following any surgery in the groin, can lead to impaired drainage of fluid from the leg. In addition, a blood clot in one of the veins of the lower extremity can impede blood drainage leading to swelling. Again, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor to discuss these possibilities.