ZocdocAnswersI have Wolf Parkison White, can I take adderall?

Question

I have Wolf Parkison White, can I take adderall?

I have WPW (wolf Parkinson white) its a heart condition but I have it very minor, i get checked every year and the past year it didnt even show up on the EKG even though I still have it. if i take one 10mg adderall pill will I be okay? or if I cut the pill in half will I be okay? Im sure I will be but people get me nervous, any help is appreciate

Answer

Thank you for this interesting question. I encourage you to schedule an appointment with a cardiologist to discuss your situation. It is not possible to provide an accurate answer without knowing the full details of your medical history as well as performing a physical exam and reviewing your EKG. Wolf-Parkinson-White is a cardiac condition that arises because of the presence of an accessory pathway of tissue connecting the atria, or top chambers of the heart, to the ventricles, or bottom chambers of the heart. Typically, electrical signals from the atria to the ventricles can only pass through the AV node, but in Wolf-Parkinson-White, they can also pass through this accessory pathway. Premature atrial beats, which are extremely common, can lead to arrhythmias that pass through this accessory pathway. Normally, the AV node helps slow down arrhythmias. However, the bypass tract in Wolf-Parskinson-White does not have the same properties as the AV node, which can lead to extremely fast arrhythmias causing loss of consciousness. Adderall is a stimulant that is known to increase the risk of arrhythmias in healthy patients. In your situation, an arrhythmia is even riskier, and adderall is not safe for you to consume. The fact that your last EKG did not show evidence of your bypass tract in no way changes this recommendation, because the bypass tract is still present. I encourage you to discuss both taking adderall and your reasons for wanting to take it with a cardiologist.