ZocdocAnswersWhy do my legs ache so much?

Question

Why do my legs ache so much?

I have had leg pains since I was little. The pain would make me cry. The doctors told my mother it was growing pains. I am 41 yrs old and I still have the same pain to the point of tears. The problem now is that it lasts for days and I get so much anxiety. What can it be causing it?

Answer

This sounds like it has been a terrible thing to live with over the last thirty years. Clearly at age 41 you are not likely to be having "growing pains" so the main question then is how to evaluate a problem that sounds like it has been going on for some time. It is certainly possible that the pain you had as a child were related to growing (or some other concern) and that what you are experiencing now is a completely different thing. The best place to start for an evaluation of your current situation is with a visit to your primary care physician. There will likely be several steps involved to try and work up your current symptoms, but the best place to start is with a thorough history of the problem. This is even more important when it has been as long-standing as your symptoms have been. Your doctor will want to go over any other medical history you have in detail, as well as family history and medications. A physical exam will also be very important to see if the pain is reproducible or if you have any associated weakness or other neurological deficits. Depending upon the results of history and physical, you may need further testing, but the best place to start is with your story. Please speak with your primary care physician and hopefully you'll be on your way to feeling better soon.