Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Will a D&C help me?"

ZocdocAnswersWill a D&C help me?


I want to have a baby and have in the past few years had issues with my periods being painful and so heavy, I bring clothes to work, cause I go through all my protection. I lost and ovary and tube to a large cyst in my early twenties, but that seems to faze no one. I had such pain and nasea 4 months ago I ended up in the er, final diagnoses was dehydration and 4 cycsts on my good ovary. Im kinda not sure what to do. My period is horrible, many have said a d and c would work?


There are several different things going on here, and I would strongly recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor to get help. The first issue seems to be heavy, painful periods. There can be several causes for these, including hormonal imbalances leading to irregular periods, fibroids in the uterus, and endometriosis. The first step in figuring things out will be a physical examination by your doctor and, potentially, some additional studies such as simple bloodwork or an ultrasound of the reproductive organs. Most of the time, painful periods are not treated with D and C (dilation and curettage), but there are other common treatments that are used including anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen and regulating medications like birth control pills. The next issue seems to be some concerns about being able to get pregnant. Most women who have had one ovary removed do not have trouble getting pregnant. That being said, the painful periods are a sign that there may be an underlying cause (fibroids, polycystic ovarian syndrome, endometriosis) that could cause some trouble with getting pregnant. Your doctor will be able to help you figure out if there is anything going on that needs treatment.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.