ZocdocAnswersHow can I get rid of my scar?

Question

How can I get rid of my scar?

3 years ago I ran into some glass and got a gatch in my forehead. Now it's a scar that's been there for 3 years. And hasn't healed at all. How can I heal it or get rid of it?

Answer

Sorry to hear about this problem. There is some additional information that I would need to know before I can help you best. That is why I recommend that you speak to your doctor, who will best be able to help you. For example, your age, your skin type, and even your gender all can play a role in scar healing. This is because some people are more prone to developing hypertrophic scars or even keloids, and the approach to improving the appearance of a scar would be different, or at least could be different, in someone that has that risk. In general, there are several things that a person will do or can do to help improve the appearance of a scar. First, an adequate amount of time needs to pass to let the body try to calm down the scar as much as possible. This is generally at least 6 months, and some will say even longer. Next, scar revisions in children tend to be less aggressive until adult age has been reached. Third, there are some techniques that can be done to either smooth down the scar and improve the color, such as with peels and lasers, or things that can be done to reorient the scar in a more cosmetically favorable position. Please speak with your doctor about your question.