ZocdocAnswersWhat small raised red bumps on back of hand could be?

Question

What small raised red bumps on back of hand could be?

Quite suddenly two red bumps have appeared on the back of my hand, these bumps are practically painless but are mildly sore. They do have a small amount of pus, but no apparent white heads.

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I hope that you feel better soon. It is difficult to know what could be causing these specific sores on the back of your hand, so it is important that you speak with your doctor. There is, however, some general information that I am able to provide. Injuries to the extremities are managed much more carefully than are injuries to other body parts. This is because the extremities are so much farther from the heart, and thus have relatively little blood flow. This is important because blood is how the body fights infection. This means that the parts of your body that have little blood flow are more prone to serious infections, which means that doctors will want to be more involved in helping you treat the injury. What may seem like a small injury should therefore be watched more closely, and it is recommended that you visit your doctor to determine if antibiotics are necessary. Trauma of any sort is a frequent cause of bumps and sores, but there are infections that can present on the hands and feet as well, and so your doctor may be able to help sort all of this out. Please speak with your doctor about the next step.