ZocdocAnswersWhat could cause frequent urination?

Question

What could cause frequent urination?

I'm an 18 year old female who recently has had to go to the bathroom quite frequently lately. I haven't had any other issues besides frequent urination and it seems very... concentrated. On a side note, I only used to go about two times a day, if that's relevant.

Answer

Based on your history, it seems that you have urinary urgency which is frequent urination and it is important to make an appointment with a primary care doctor. You did not mention that you have larger volumes of urine, which is called polyuria. Urinary urgency can be caused by irritation of your bladder which can be caused by a urinary tract infection (UTI). UTI are caused by an infection. It is common for young women to have UTI. UTI's can begin from the urethra to the kidney. UTI occur more often in women than in men because the urethra is shorter in women. Bacteria from the vagina and anus can reach the urethra and cause a UTI. UTI are also more common in sexually active women. Though there is no absolute method to prevent UTI, just remember to wipe from front to back when using the bathroom. Also, you can urinate after sexual intercourse to flush any bacteria that may have entered the urethra. Other potential causes of urinary urgency is increased blood sugars such an diabetics, though you would also have polyuria. Another possibility is a condition called overactive bladder which is caused by an overactive muscle in your bladder that lead to contractions and urinary urgency and urinary incontinence. You should make a diary of the amount of fluid you drink and the number of times you urinate. You should make an appointment with a primary care doctor and have your urine tested.