Why does my knee hurt so bad?

The pain comes and goes but when it does come I always feel a sharp pain in the side of my knee it doesn't hurt when I touch it only when I walk.
I am sorry to hear about your pain. It sounds as if it is significantly affecting your quality of life. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis, it will be necessary to fully review your medical history and also perform a detailed physical exam. You may also need to undergo additional imaging studies, such as an x-ray or MRI. Therefore, I strongly recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. After gathering this information, the surgeon can make recommendations on the next most appropriate steps. There are multiple structures in the knee that could be the cause of your pain. You may have suffered an injury to the meniscus, which is a piece of cartilage that cushions the joint. There are multiple bursa, or fluid filled sacs that provide cushioning, in the joint, and inflammation of any of these can lead to pain. You may have suffered damage to one of the ligaments that stabilize the knee, including the ACL, MCL, or PCL. Disorders such as iliotibial band syndrome and patellofemoral syndrome can cause knee pain as can knee osteoarthritis. You will need to undergo a thorough physical exam to determine the cause of your symptoms, and I recommend you raise these possibilities with an orthopedic surgeon.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons