Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Could I have herpes?"

ZocdocAnswersCould I have herpes?


Everytime i have sex or pass a bowel movement i get small paper cut like tears near the opening of my vagina going down towards my butt. Im freaking out because i read online that sometimes that could be herpes. I also get rashes down there. I was told it wasnt herpes from a doctor but im still scared. If it isnt herpes what could it be?


While I cannot be sure without actually looking at these lesions myself, I will say that they did not sound very much like a herpes infection. Still, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. The first clue is that a herpes infection is not in anyway associated with having a bowel movement. In addition, while herpes can be spread through sexual contact is not typically activated or exacerbated by having sex. In other words, the herpes flare or the lesions of herpes would appear independent of when you had sex and when you have a bowel movement. Herpes lesions are not typically described as small paper-cut like tears. They're usually described as small sores that burn and tingle in the area. People that have herpes infections tend to complain of fevers, generalized malaise, and a burning sensation in the groin just prior to the development of the skin lesions. Because your symptoms don't sound like this, I not surprised the doctor who has actually examine these lesions believes that this is not herpes infection. With that said, I do think that you should be evaluated by somebody that is familiar with that area. Therefore I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN for further evaluation of this problem. If the problem seems to be specific to the skin in that area, it might be that you would need a referral to a dermatologist for further evaluation.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.