ZocdocAnswersI have a bug bite-like itch for 5 days, what could it be?

Question

I have a bug bite-like itch for 5 days, what could it be?

I was wearing work boots outside at night at a party. I got what felt like a bite or bee sting on my ankle. It has itched like a mosquito bite ever since. It has been 5 days and there is no bumps or rash or anything. Just curious as to what it may be.

Answer

This is a good question. It is important to see your primary care doctor as soon as possible to have this checked out as, although it is likely a simple bug bite, there are more serious causes for a bump that has lasted that long. From what you are describing, the bump sounds like a mosquito bite which can last as long as two weeks but usually only 3-5 days, especially if you are able to leave it alone. If you have been scratching it is possible that it has become infected, in which case you could need antibiotics. It is also possible that you had a spider bite or bee sting. Many people think that they have suffered a spider bite when they actually have an abscess (collection of pus under the skin). This can be very concerning as it could be caused by MRSA, which is a staph infection that is resistant to certain antibiotics. Again, it is very important for you to seek care as soon as possible to get a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment. In the meantime, try not to scratch the area as breaks in the skin can lead to infection and scarring.