ZocdocAnswersI need to know the differences between arterial and venous vascular disorders, could you explain it to me?

Question

I need to know the differences between arterial and venous vascular disorders, could you explain it to me?

I am having difficulty knowing the differences between arterial vascular disorders and venous vascular disorders. Need comparison. Thank you

Answer

Answering your question requires that I start off by explaining the differences between the veins and the artery. However, if you have specific questions about your vascular health, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a vascular medicine specialist which is a sub specialty of cardiology. A vein is a vessel that carries blood to the heart whereas an artery is a vessel that carries blood away from the heart. In general veins carry blood under lower pressure whereas arteries carry blood under high pressure. The most common venous disorders include venous insufficiency which is when veins are unable to carry blood up the legs to the heart against gravity. Another common venous disorder is a deep vein thrombosis which is a blood clot the resides in the van. The most worrisome side effect of having a deep vein thrombosis is the possibility that it will travel up to the heart into the lungs turning into a pulmonary embolism. Arterial vascular disorders are also common and the most common example is atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries. Sometimes when the arteries become hard and calcified they can develop blockages. Blockages can impede blood flow to certain organs. The two most well-known conditions that occurred due to arterial blockages are a myocardial infarction or heart attack and a cerebrovascular accident or stroke. Vascular disorders whether they are venus or arterial tend to be improved with healthy diet, maintaining a healthy weight, and getting plenty of exercise. Again, if you have very detailed questions about your vascular health, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a vascular medicine specialist which is a sub specialty of cardiology.