ZocdocAnswersIs there a safe treatment for tinea when your pregnant?

Question

Is there a safe treatment for tinea when your pregnant?

I am pregnant and have been on strict bed rest for over a month now. I have patches of tinea on my breasts, stomach, and arm. Is there a safe treatment for me because I am pregnant? I am only allowed to shower twice a week so it makes it tougher to get rid of.

Answer

As you know, pregnancy can cause a significant number of troubles when it comes to taking medications. There are many medications they are either restricted during pregnancy or are thought to be relatively unsafe. For tinea, most physicians would ask that you wait until after you have delivered to undergo treatment just to make sure that there are no problems with your pregnancy. However, if the spots are really bothering you, you should discuss this with your doctor and ask for one of the topical medications. Typically we use topical selenium, or one of the other topical anti fungal medications. Another option is ketoconazole shampoo which is typically okay during pregnancy. The real question is which of these, if any, is okay with your OB/GYN. The only way to find out is to schedule an appointment with him or her and ask. Obviously none of these topical agents will work as well as the oral agents such as oral fluconazole. However, they may be helpful in controlling your symptoms if your symptoms are severe. If you are having symptoms of itching, but the spots themselves don't bother you too much, then it might be better just to use topical Benadryl which is generally thought to be okay during pregnancy. Again, please speak with your doctor.