ZocdocAnswersI have a bump In the inner joint of my finger. What is it and how can I make it go away?

Question

I have a bump In the inner joint of my finger. What is it and how can I make it go away?

I have a bump In the inner joint of my finger. It is slightly warm, and quite hard. It's only small, like a long ball. It rolls slightly when I touch it with my finger, and hurts a little

Answer

I recommend that you visit your primary care doctor. The possible causes of this bump depend in part on your age and any other symptoms you might have. For example, if you are middle aged or older, this bump might be a sign of osteoarthritis, also known as "common" or "wear and tear" arthritis. Typically, you would have more than one of these bumps on several fingers in this scenario, associated with some stiffness and pain. The bump could also represent a more serious form of arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis, especially if the joints are swollen and warm, although it doesn't sound from your description that this is very likely. Rheumatoid arthritis is more likely to occur at a younger age than osteoarthritis and to have more severe painful symptoms. If, on the other hand, the bump appears to be located on or within one of the tendons in the hand and to move up and down with the tendon when you move the finger, then this might be a tendon cyst, or ganglion cyst. Regardless, I'd recommend showing this bump to your primary care doctor the next time you see them, earlier if the pain is severe or getting worse. They will be able to make a formal diagnosis for you.